Harston Residents Group – Annual General Meeting – Minutes

Date:05/06/2026
Time:8-10pm
Place:Harston Village Hall
Attendees:HR, BW, FP, CA, TW, JB, RB, FR, JR, CP, PE, CM, GM, KS, PA
Apologies:IR, JN, CCS, HF TG, DF
ItemDescription
1Welcome and introductions
2Apologies
3  Acceptance of minutes of previous extraordinary general meeting held 08/05/2026
Proposed resolution: That the minutes of the EGM be accepted.
Proposed:                                     Seconded:                                         Passed unanimously  
4  Elect HRG committee The following positions were proposed: TW– chair, HF -vice chair, HR – Greener Harston & Planning, CA – Treasurer, Litter Pick and Secretary, JN  – co-opted minutes Secretary, Transport – BW, Website – FP PA – will support HRG but prefers to not be part of committee. TW introduced himself, his background and discussed positives for, and challenges facing the village.  
Proposed resolution: The committee above is approved and elected Proposed: JR                                   Seconded: BW                                 Passed unanimously    
5Constitution The following suggestions were proposed by TW to be reviewed and accepted at next meeting: Meetings: Change from meet on 3rd Tuesday each month at the pavilion to meet regularly as required. Roles: Clarify wording and separate “chair, vice-chair and secretary”. If chair not available, then vice-chair will chair meeting and if neither available then secretary (or other committee member) can chair  
Action: To email and ask if any objections to above (CA) then review and accept at next meeting
6  Financial year: CA summarised the 12-month period from 31/5/25 to 31/5/26. There were donations from 14 Individuals for Button End wood solicitor costs totalling £3011.90 and there was one £900 expense towards solicitor’s fees. The balance at May 2025 was £211.90 and current balance is £3011.90.  
Action: Discussed looking into who else has access to bank account (CA) – JR and CCS have access
Proposed resolution: That the financial statements tabled at the annual general meeting be accepted
Proposed:                                         Seconded:                                       Passed unanimously  
7  Button End Wood protection: Discussed aim to stop wood being destroyed and continuing to allow access. 49 responses from people using wood for recreation in past and people are currently still accessing the wood. Been getting advice from Open Space Society to support us and are asking solicitors for further help. PA discussed HPC not supporting. HPC were corrected by PA as we are not claiming ownership just continuing access.  
Action: Email HPC to reinforce PA point above (TW)  
8  Applying for grant from HPC for insurance for other activities: HPC have asked us to get insurance separately for activities including litter pick and Greener Harston, eg cutting back branches, keeping war memorial tidy. We can apply for a grant from HPC and this needs to be done asap. KM offered to help. Noted we should spend money appropriately and with due care.  
Actions: 1. To get forms from website and apply (CA with support KM and HR) 2. Get quotes for insurance 3. To share current insurance policy (HR) –  done 4. Add to agenda for next meeting to consider what else we may apply for via grant
9  Review of last year Brief discussion of the last 12 months of HRG: 2 litter picks per year, Greener Harston, keeping website up to date and EWR activities. Discussed how we share our information with the wider Harston community: email, website, newsletter and we also share to the Harston and Newton Facebook group and Harstonians WhatsApp group.  
10  East West Rail BW explained that consultation is ending on 9/6/26 (Tuesday). He has submitted one on behalf of HRG. Main concern about cutting off access Donkey Lane from London Road.  Also concerns shared about cutting off road to Newton and lorries on Church Street. BW doing display on Saturday and also suggested they could use internal service roads on A10 and London Road as an alternative for vehicles. Could ask EWR rep to come to a meeting if needed. HR shared that some local suggestions have been accepted by EWR ie re removal of London Rd flyover to Shelford Rd and footpaths retained or improved, so we should be hopeful that our local knowledge may be considered and suggestions considered.  
Actions: 1. To email document with concerns about EWR (BW) – done 2. Ask CCS to send newsletter about consultation deadline (CA) – done  
11  Church Street A survey found 88% in favour of yellow lines near surgery and this was also accepted at HPC AGM 10/25 but it keeps being delayed.  
Actions: Ask HPC re: update/ progress regarding this (TW)  
12  AOB: After discussion re grants made available by HPC, should accounts for Village Magazine, who received £1,500 from PC be made freely available, so community can see and understand where and how the money is spent for benefit of Harston community. Invoice received for £9.29 for website this year. Suggested we pay from our funds. Consider start time of 7:45pm for future meetings.  
13Meeting close
Minute taker:  CA
Date:06/06/2026